President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal changed our country for the better. Now, a proposed modern-day version called the “Green New Deal” is sparking conversation and excitement across Washington about how to achieve climate change goals. The lead battery industry is ready to be part of the solution.
Here’s the gist: The Green New Deal is an economic stimulus program aimed, in part, at addressing climate change by moving our communities into a secure, sustainable future. Lead batteries already have a head start in doing so. They are a reliable, sustainable energy storage technology that is actively helping to meet our critical renewable energy storage and modern transportation needs.
Lead batteries will be one of the key enabling energy storage technologies to aid in the transition to electrification. Plus, unlike other storage options, lead batteries are the most environmentally sustainable battery technology – with an almost 100 percent recycling rate in the U.S. Here are some other reasons why lead batteries are a leader in renewable energy storage solutions:
- A large number of solar and wind facilities use lead batteries to regulate variability. The batteries store excess energy when demand is low and release it when demand is high.
- Lead batteries are an established, economical battery technology, with the responsiveness and scalability needed to meet our country’s growing renewable energy storage needs.
- The U.S. lead battery industry has a robust, coast-to-coast network for efficient manufacturing, collection and recycling.
- Lead batteries are highly cost effective. They provide superior cost-benefit value in comparison to other energy storage chemistries.
Transportation: Lead Batteries Enable EV Revolution and Reduce Greenhouse Gases
Currently, transportation is the largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. Lead batteries are helping to reduce those emissions and boost fuel economy by supporting fuel-saving electric vehicles (EVs) and start-stop technology. Here are some facts:
- By 2020, it’s predicted that advanced start-stop vehicles powered by lead batteries will eliminate two million tons of vehicle greenhouse gas emissions annually.
- Lead batteries are used worldwide in virtually every hybrid and EV. EVs depend on lead batteries for critical safety and security function.
- The growth of EVs depends, in part, on accessible, reliable public charging stations. Lead batteries store, regulate and ensure power at EV charging stations – even during extreme weather and peak energy demand.
Lead Batteries Go Beyond National Battery Day
Lead batteries are an essential bridge from today’s capabilities to tomorrow’s possibilities. They are a future technology widely employed across transportation and energy storage, but also in healthcare, as a safeguard for critical telecommunications and data centers, and more. With a 150-year proven track record, lead batteries are sure to be a major solution for new challenges ahead.
Join us in celebrating National Battery Day, February 18, by staying informed. Watch this short video – “Future Powered By Lead Batteries” — on the role of lead batteries in the future.
We think FDR, the innovative thinker that he was, would be impressed!